A 6-year-old girl is brought into ED by EMS. She has a 2-week history of fever and lethargy and has become very unwell in the last 24 hours. Learners are expected to take a history and carryout an A-E assessment. Through appropriate investigations they should recognise this child as being in DKA and commence management with the DKA protocol. The patient will then deteriorate, and learners are expected to consider cerebral oedema, manage appropriately, and involve ICU.
Learning Goals & Objectives
- Describe the signs and symptoms of a child presenting with diabetic ketoacidosis
- Describe the signs and symptoms of moderate dehydration
- Demonstrate the management a child in DKA
- Initial stabilizing steps
- Management of suspected cerebral edema
Add public comment…