Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) is an international course that teaches participants the basic skills necessary for timely management of traumatic injury. The course includes didactic and practical sessions.
Participants will learn to identify injuries associated with major trauma, management of skills required for early resuscitation, and treatment of injured patients.
- Assess the patient’s condition rapidly and accurately
- Resuscitate and stabilize the patient according to priority
- Determine if the patient’s needs exceed a facility’s capacity
- Arrange appropriately for the patient’s inter-hospital transfer (who, what, when, and how)
- Assure that optimum care is provided and maintained throughout the evaluation, resuscitation, or transfer process
Physicians practicing emergency care.
For additional course listings in British Columbia, please visit the American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) website. To access a list of the ATLS Coordinators located in Canada, please click here.